3G Switch Off
January 1st 2024
3G Technology is shutting down in the UK
Vodafone, Three and EE have all announced that they will switch off their 3G network from January 1st 2024 and urge their customers to act now.
Part of a wider industry initiative to switch off 3G across the country, this move affects all Business & Personal users who rely on these networks for mobile data. Although a massive undertaking, this announcement isn’t a big surprise.Learn which carriers are involved, why 3G is shutting down in the UK, and what to do before the 3G Switch-Off:
Which UK Networks are Switching Off 3G?
EE will move customers off its 3G network this year and switch it off fully by 2024.Learen More
Vodafone aims to phase out 3G across the UK by no later than December 2023.Learen More
Three will gradually phase out 3G over the next two years and switch it off by the end of 2024.Learen More
O2 will continue to offer 2G/3G services, with no shut-off planned before the 2033 cutoff date.No official announcement
Over the last decade, EE, Vodafone, Three, and O2 have all been investing heavily in new 4G and 5G networks to offer faster speeds and more reliable connections across the UK. These carriers feel it’s time for that investment to pay off.
With these new 4G/5G networks, users will enjoy seamless connectivity and better performance, enabling them to stay online, entertained and productive, no matter where they are.
TIps for Business users
rom small businesses with a couple of SIM cards to large corporations with hundreds of employee handsets, the 3G Switch-Off is set to impact companies all across the UK.
- Upgrade to a compatible device that supports either 4G or 5G
- Check network coverage of 4G or 5G networks in your area to ensure the use of your without disruption.
- Contact us to check your existing tariff includes 4G/5G coverage and upgrade as necessary.
- Back up data to avoid any loss of important information when upgrading.
- Plan ahead and allow sufficient time to make necessary changes to devices or tariffs to avoid any service disruptions.
To mitigate any negative impact, take an inventory of:
- Employee devices
- Mobile SIM applications
- 3G data-connected devices
Before the date outlined by your network, your business must:
- Upgrade outdated devices to newer models (all mobiles, tablets, SIMs, and tariffs will need to be 4G/5G ready)
- Replace all active 3G Business SIM plans
Why is 3G Shutting Down in the UK?
Although 2025 may seem like a long way away, it will approach faster than you may think. So if your current ISDN/PSTN telephony or broadband contract is due for renewal within the next few years, now is the time to start exploring the benefits of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) and SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) services for voice calls, or SoGEA (Single Order Generic Ethernet Access) and FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) for broadband products.